Friday, June 20, 2008

Photography Friday

Strawberry shortcake with homemade whipped cream and biscuits. June 2008.

Ah, dessert. As much as I am all about healthy eating, I confess that I love dessert. And why not? One of the keys to moderation is the occasional indulgence. Note: occasional, and reasonable. Not necessarily a 64 oz. Supergulp slurpee [nothing against slurpees, I had my share in my youth, usually on the 3 hour road trip to and from my grandparent's house], but a little mindful indulgence in foods you truly enjoy, preferably of good quality [and increased enjoyment]. And when they are occasional and reasonably portioned they become a special treat, which is the meaning of indulgence anyways.

So when did our feelings towards desserts change? These days I feel it is less about indulgence than about guilty pleasure, that we are less mindful of seasonal and regional variations, and that quantity has replaced quality. We suck down the daily caramel frappuccino for the sugar and caffeine jolt to start our mornings, more hooked on the habit than relishing the morning indulgence. And by frittering away our calories with high fructose corn syrup "breakfast" substitutes or trans fat laden munchies that we mindlessly down between meals, there is no room at the end of the day for a small sweet to end off the meal, one of many "traditional" desserts built upon a base of milk, flour, eggs, sugar and butter - ingredients you can prnounce in quantities that can be adjusted to suit individual tastes.

No, I'm not saying that we should go out and indulge every night. Again, that runs counter to the meaning of indulgence. Rather, if we took away the mindless eating or overly sweetened/fatty meal substitutes we've come to rely on, and brought back regular, balanced meals, there might be room for a bit of a treat at the end of the day. I'm not one for total deprivation, but when you indulge yourself, make it count.

No comments: